A Chintzy Morning



"Tea is best enjoyed in pleasant surroundings, whether indoors or out, where the atmosphere is tranquil, the setting harmonious.   ~John Blofeld


One of my simple pleasures is to read while enjoying a pot of tea outside in my garden. We have had a very cool spring, so these last two weeks were the first times I was able to partake in my favorite morning ritual. I wait all week for these weekend tea times. 

My morning tea choices are usually Paris by Harney and Sons, Breakfast in Paris by Stash Tea or various loose English Breakfast blends. My yellow Beehouse teapot is my go to or my larger orange one if I have more time to spare.

My reading choice is a magazine and the novel I'm currently reading. I have to admit that this current issue of Tea Time magazine is one of my favorites in terms of recipes.


For the past year I have been savoring my alfresco tea in this adorable Shelley chintz teacup and saucer. The story behind it is my impetus for the direction of this blog.
Last summer I was invited to an amazing afternoon tea at the home of my two dear two friends. After I was greeted I was handed a tea menu (Yes, they have that many teas.) and I was asked to choose a teacup. Of course I gravitated to this Shelley. Both of my friends laughed because they knew this was the teacup I would choose! They gifted me this gem of a teacup that they found and now it has made its way into my home. I would love to know its tale of where it started.


Chintz fabric has been around for five hundred years and originated in India. The word is derived from the Hindi word chint meaning spotted or variegated. Many vintage English potteries created chintz teacups and saucers in various floral patterns. There was a resurgence of chintz in the fashion world in the 1980s headed by designer Laura Ashley.
The article below goes into more detail about chintz and its significance in fabric.


My particular Shelley teacup/saucer is a Shelley in the Primrose Chintz pattern. The teacup is an Oxford Silhouette. According to my Shelley pattern book the teacup shape is supposed to be Henley. 








This pattern was produced from 1940-1966.










I enjoy gardening and will share the bounty (fingers crossed) of our vegetable garden soon. For now these two pots are close to the table I read at and our rosemary with vinca flowers and basil. Simple to maintain and great for cooking!




Best wishes for wonderful tea times whether 

                    indoors or outside, 

Nora


Comments